Building Inspector Supervisor Certified I/II – PBCE
Planning, Building and Code Enforcement Department
Requisition ID: 1800367
Position and Duties
The Planning, Building and Code Enforcement (PBCE) Department is currently seeking to fill Certified Building Inspector Supervisor positions in each of the following areas; Building, Electrical and Plumbing/Mechanical Specialty in the Building Division. The incumbent in these positions will report to a Building Inspection Manager or Division Manager depending on the assignment, and supervise Building Inspector Combination in any or all specialties.
A Building Inspector Supervisor performs work involving all aspects of construction in the City of San José including plan review, inspecting, supervising and coordinating plan review, permit issuance and inspections as well as solving problems within the Department's Combination and Specialty Inspection programs. The supervisors are subject experts in one of the following three base disciplines: Building, Electrical, and Plumbing/Mechanical. Their principal function is to verify that construction is safe and complies with applicable codes, ordinances, regulations and building design criteria.
Education and Experience
Building Inspector Supervisor Certified I or II: Graduation from high school or equivalent and six years of experience in construction as a journey level carpenter, plumber, air conditioning mechanic, electrician, or related contractor, or performing inspections for a public agency.
Licenses or Certificates
Valid California Driver’s License.
Building Inspector Supervisor Certified I: Possess and maintain valid Inspector Certification issued by an agency acceptable to the City in the inspection trade discipline(s) being supervised.
Building Inspector Supervisor Certified II: Possess and maintain valid commercial certifications issued by an agency acceptable to the City in the employee’s specialty trade and in three (3) additional commercial specialty trades OR in two (2) additional commercial specialty trades and one other certification such as Plan Review or CASp (Certified Access Specialist program). Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge and use of applicable Citywide and departmental procedures/policies; demonstrates knowledge and use of applicable federal and state rules and regulations. Knowledge of, and strong experience in database development and programming as well as an understanding of complex database concepts and interfaces including the implications of different database designs.
- Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
- Collaboration - Develops networks and builds alliances; engages in cross-functional activities.
- Conflict Management - uses appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Customer Service - Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
- Initiative - exhibits self-directed, resourceful and creative behaviors toward meeting job objectives; anticipates problems, is proactive, and avoids difficulties by planning ahead; displays willingness to assume extra responsibility or workload and accept challenges; pursue continuing educational opportunities which promote enhanced job performance.
- Problem Solving - Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem(s); collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
- Reliability - Completes quality work assignments in a timely and efficient manner; fulfills responsibilities and maintains confidentiality as appropriate.
-Supervision- sets effective long and short-term goals based on a good understanding of management practices; establishes realistic priorities within available resources.
-Team Work & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
Building Inspector Supervisor Certified I: $103,396.80 - $125,944.00
Building Inspector Supervisor Certified II: $106,426.40 - $129,438.40
The application deadline is on March 15, 2018 at 11:59 PM. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application.
To Learn More and Apply
To view the full announcement for this exciting opportunity with the City of San José and apply, please visit the City of San Jose’s employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers and select "Open-Competitive Recruitments".